Inspired solutions for our shared future
Terracon’s employee-owners are on a journey to explore the world around us, always searching for ways to improve how we serve our clients, care for our employee-owners, and give back to our communities. We have not only recognized a need to change ourselves, but the need to inspire others to act as well. Since 2020, we have become more focused and intentional in our efforts to be a more sustainable and inclusive company, both internally and through the services we provide our clients.
Sustainability is woven into our approach to making a positive impact on our environment, our employees, our clients, and our business. Together we have:
- Committed to using an environmental, social, and governance (ESG) structure to improve our sustainability performance, including reporting and disclosing ESG efforts to EcoVadis since 2019 (bronze medal recipient 2019, 2021, and 2022).
- Formed a corporate sustainability advisory team that works directly with the CEO and executive committee to establish focus areas for sustainable improvement.
- Formed an Inclusive Culture Leadership Team to help guide our strategic efforts around creating a truly inclusive culture at Terracon.
- Launched three Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), to enhance our culture of inclusion by connecting, educating, and welcoming our employee-owners. These include iWIL (Increasing Women in Leadership), The HIVE (sustainability network), and VetNet (veteran’s network).
- Implemented a laboratory and office waste diversion program to identify alternative practices for disposing of concrete and soil testing materials for a net reduction of solid waste.
- Implemented sustainable and diverse supplier procurement practices across our purchasing and real estate management platforms.
- In 2022 we appointed a Director of Corporate Sustainability. The Director and the advisory team will develop and implement internal corporate sustainability strategies, policies, and procedures, and evolve our service offerings to best serve our clients’ sustainability needs.
As we lay the groundwork for a more formal sustainability program, we are aligning our efforts with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) framework. This alignment strengthens our path as stewards of the environment, while we commit to applying our technical expertise to support our own environmental stewardship and sustainability efforts, as well as those of our clients. From investing in community and regional environmental preservation, to reducing and recycling project-generated construction waste, to reducing materials required on wind turbine foundations, and enhancing pre-design pile testing on solar projects, our teams are bringing innovation and curiosity to transform how our industry responds to sustainability challenges.
Our people and our communities are at the heart of sustainability. We’re committed to fostering conversations and bringing awareness to inclusion internally by exploring various viewpoints and amplifying our employees’ unique experiences and stories. We’re also actively building a more diverse workforce within Terracon, so our clients see themselves – and our diverse communities – in our employees. We believe that by focusing on inclusion, diversity and equity will follow.
We’ve charted a course to measure our own sustainability and inclusion practices, including our procurement of goods and diversity of services up and down our supply chain, our carbon footprint, energy conservation efforts, and our laboratory, office, and project-derived waste diversion and recycling initiatives. Though early in our evolution, we are already reaching great heights. Every day, we’re partnering with our employee-owners and our clients to meet this ongoing challenge.