News and Events
Have a Safe and Happy Fourth of July!
As you celebrate the birth of our great country, please treat fireworks with respect. To help prevent injuries and accidents, read all of the cautions and warnings and use common sense. Lighting fireworks indoors, throwing them from automobiles, and lighting multiple devices at the same time can lead to accidents and are not how fireworks are intended to be used. If you see someone misusing fireworks, especially children, stop them. Show them the correct way to use consumer fireworks and do not ever use professional fireworks or illegal explosives. Here are some fireworks safety tips to keep in mind:
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them!
- Always have water handy (a hose or buckets of water).
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework (wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
- Use common sense when using fireworks. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter. The shooter should wear safety glasses.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated” shooter.
- Only persons over age 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers of any type.
- Do not ever use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives; they can kill you! Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
Please do your part to keep your family and friends safe this holiday season. For more information, visit: http://fireworkssafety.org/